My photo
I am Dr kathy and I like health life!

This is kathy's health blog ,she talk about all disease experience! You will find the helpful informations!

Apr 12, 2009

~Pet Poison Alert: Lay Off the Lilies~

Spring is here, people! Whether you’re celebrating Easter, Passover or the arrival of daffodils, it’s time to show our fur kids some love by keeping them safe from one of the season’s most popular—and poisonous—plants, the Easter lily.

In the past year, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center fielded 442 cases of pets who ingested some variety of the lovely lily. The vast majority of those cases occurred during the spring and summer months, and 83% involved our feline friends. Some examples of common lily varieties that are dangerous for cats include Easter lily, tiger lily, rubrum lily, Japanese show lily and certain species of daylily.

“All lilies belonging to the plant genus Lilium are highly toxic to cats,” explains Dr. Steven Hansen, Senior Vice President, ASPCA Animal Health Services. “Consuming even small amounts can cause a life-threatening situation.” Certain species of the genus Hemerocallis are also known to produce similar toxic effects. Lilies may cause a cat to vomit, become lethargic or develop a lack of appetite. Without immediate and proper care, a cat may develop life-threatening kidney failure within 36 to 72 hours of ingestion.

“Time is really of the essence for treatment,” says Dr. Louise Murray, Director of Medicine at the ASPCA’s Bergh Memorial Animal Hospital. “If an owner suspects her cat may have eaten any part of a lily, she should seek immediate medical care.”

The ASPCA recommends leaving lilies out of Easter baskets or Mother’s Day bouquets destined for homes with cats, or using safer flower varieties as substitutes. Some pretty alternatives include Easter orchids, cacti and daisies, as well as roses and violets.

For more information about household flowers that can hurt cats and dogs, check out our online guide to toxic plants. As always, if you suspect your pet has ingested something poisonous, please call your veterinarian or the ASPCA’s 24-hour hotline at (888) 426-4435.